Sony offers one of the best ranges of mirrorless cameras out there. In every year Sony is constantly releasing their new mirrorless cameras. The Alpha series of Sony mirrorless camera that combines professional functionality into a smaller compact body, every year it comes with more options than ever before.
If your current Sony mirrorless camera is broken, out of date, or unable to keep up with your photography skills, you should get one of our listed camera that suits the type of traveler you are . I have decided to write this guide, to help you choose the most suitable Sony Alpha series mirrorless cameras for you.
First, let’s start by explaining why you should consider buying a Sony mirrorless camera instead of the normal DSLR.
Why Choose Mirrorless Over DSLR?
There are 2 main things to learn about camera lens specification specifications that will help you choose the right lens, focal length and aperture.
This debate can take days to be discussed, but to sum up, it all comes down to the compact size and lower cost when choosing the mirrorless camera system on DSLR.
DSLR has ruled for centuries as professionals choice, but with the new mirrorless technology and its rapid development led by Sony, mirrorless cameras have improved and even surpassed DSLR on many fronts.
Mirrorless camera is a new technology and it’s the future of photography. Buying a camera is like investing in a resource, and who wouldn’t want to invest in a sustainable resource like mirrorless technology?
This is the reason why I use a mirrorless camera and why I would recommend that anyone make the switch, especially if you are a traveler and looking for a professional level camera in a more compact size than the DSLR cameras.
Why Use Sony Mirrorless Camera
When you are buying a camera from a brand, you are also investing in its ecosystem by buying lenses and accessories and it can be very expensive if you want to switch from one ecosystem to another.
When you buy a camera from a brand, you also invest in lenses and accessories and it can be very expensive. That’s why choosing the right brand is one of the most difficult decisions to make. There are many options, but no brand has developed as quickly as Sony in mirrorless technology.
Canon may be the number 1 camera brand in the DSLR world, but nobody can compete with Sony when it comes to mirrorless cameras, as they have many years of experience in developing and updating their cameras. And with fast release cycle of Sony mirrorless camera, we are sure to expect more and exciting features from them every year.
As for the selection of lenses, Sony used to miss behind the others but no more. While Sony mirrorless cameras gained popularity worldwide, the same goes for selecting lens with manufacturers like Sigma and Rokinon jumping on the bandwagon as well as the ever-growing list of official lenses by GMaster and Zeiss that they created for the Sony E-Mount system. All in all, if you are looking for buying a new mirrorless camera, Sony is the way to go.
Top 7 Sony Mirrorless Camera Reviews
If you are looking to upgrade from an older or cheaper camera, or if you are a experienced photographer wanting to get started in Sony’s system, this Sony ɑ6300 mirrorless camera is a great option.
Lets checkout what this awesome Sony mirrorless camera offers:-
- It comes with exceptional autofocusing abilities to help capture crisp,
- You can capture sharp 24.2 megapixel still images
- This camera offers 4K video with pleasing colors and plenty of detail
- You can even shoot in low light conditions
- The grip is more comfortable than what you’ll find on most cameras in this price range.
- Its small size makes it easy to carry
- The sturdy magnesium-alloy body is also resistant to dust and moisture.
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows you to connect the camera to your smartphone to transfer images or control the camera remotely.
However, unlike similarly priced cameras from other companies, it lacks a touchscreen.
Sony’s ɑ6000 mirrorless camera is a great choice for those who switch from a compact camera, a smartphone or a lower-end Sony camera like the ɑ5100.
Lets checkout what this incredible Sony A6000 mirrorless camera offers:-
- This ɑ6300 has a lower-resolution viewfinder
- It uses an older and slightly less versatile autofocus system
- This mirrorless camera captures only 1080p video instead of 4K.
- Effortlessly captures sharp, detailed photos in fully automatic mode
- It is comfortable to use and easy to carry.
Although it lacks the flippable touchscreen, it’s the best option for beginners if you are tuned to a Sony camera.
Sony’s α7 III camera delivers images with the sharpest detail and least noise, especially at higher ISOs than any mirrorless camera in its price range. It has also done meaningful improvements over any other full-frame mirrorless camera under $2,500.
Lets checkout what this incredible Sony A7III mirrorless camera offers:-
- Awesome tilting touch screen,
- Comfortable grip, and easy-to-use controls make shooting fun.
- In addition, you will like the battery life (710 shots per charge) and dual SD card slots.
- It also comes with weather sealing and its 10 fps burst mode,
- You will get an AF system that covers 93 percent of the frame
This best Sony mirrorless camera performs better than systems found in cameras that cost twice as much, and we are comfortable to say that the α7 III is the best full-frame camera for your money if you’re willing to spend that much on a camera.
The Sony a6400, launched in February 2019. It is Sony’s best mirrorless camera for light travelers . If you are looking for an inexpensive but advanced Sony mirrorless camera with features in a compact body, you can’t beat the Sony a6400.
Lets checkout what this Sony a6400 mirrorless camera offers:-
- It offers a 24.2mp cropped APS-C sensor with a new processor
- It has a 4k video recording capacity
- You will get an extremely fast autofocus,
- It also has a LOG image profile system and many more.
Lets see the main difference between Sony A6600 vs Sony A6400. While the Sony a6600 is a better model, you have to spend 1,200 USD, almost 300 USD more than the Sony a6400. The Sony a6600 mirrorless camera has the same sensor and processor as the a6400 but without the built-in stabilization which can be offset by purchasing lenses already equipped with optical stabilization. Personally, I think the benefit you gain from getting the latest model is minimal and not worth the $ 300 more you can spend on lenses instead.
If money isn’t your problem and you’re looking for the best Sony mirrorless camera, then this Sony a7RIV is the best camera you should buy.
Lets checkout what this Sony A7RIV mirrorless camera offers:-
- The Sony a7RIV arrives with a whopping 61 megapixels.
- It’s maximum resolution is 9504 x 6336
- It also comes with the best autofocus system
- Great processing power,
- Best support for SD duo cards
- Long battery life, all in all, best all.
Nothing comes close to this Sony camera, not even the best full frame cameras from other competitors and therefore if you are looking for the most advanced mirrorless camera for your travels and you don’t mind carrying heavy loads, the Sony a7RIV is the only one to have.
The Sony a6100 is now the most affordable Sony mirrorless camera you can buy. Initially, I recommend the Sony a6000, but from the reduction I saw on the Sony a6100, the Sony a6000 is no longer a good option.
Lets checkout what this Sony a6100 mirrorless camera offers:-
- The newer Sony a6100 has a much better processor
- A faster autofocus
- Swivel screen for selfies,
- And you can get it less than a hundred dollars more, making it a better option right now.
If you can live without integrated image stabilization, no LOG color profile and no 4K video recording capability, the Sony a6100 is the best you can get for $ 598.
In a full frame mirrorless camera, it is the world’s first 5 axis in body image stabilization in a full frame camera. This 5-axis image stabilizing system excels during video recording and even compensates for blur caused by the photographer walking or running. It’s a true marvel of engineering. You will get High 50 Mbps bit rate XAVC S21 format recording of Full HD movies.
Lets checkout what this Sony a6100 mirrorless camera offers:-
- Capture stunning images with full frame, 24.3MP resolution.
- Fast hybrid AF with phase detection: 30 percent faster than a7
- Compatible with Sony’s E mount lenses, and others with adaptors
- It even enhances lenses that already have optical image stabilization systems.
- A sophisticated balance of high-resolving power, gradation and low noise.
- A 35mm full-frame sensor, a normal sensor range of ISO 100–25600
- The BIONZ X image processor enables up to 5 fps high-speed continuous shooting
We generally recommend mirrorless cameras over DSLR cameras because mirrorless models provide similar image quality and performance in smaller, lighter bodies. But if you’re interested in a DSLR camera despite those factors, we suggest you look at our guides to the best DSLR cameras of 2021.